I was a gifted child. Perhaps I should say I am now a gifted adult, but
honestly it doesn’t feel like it on a lot of days. I feel weird saying it.
Gifted. It seems to have such negative connotations. As if those who know they
are gifted are implying that they are perfect. Nobody is perfect; no matter how
smart you are. It’s a word met with doubt and disgust. “Everybody thinks their
child is gifted.” Do they, really? I think that those who hope for giftedness
don’t fully understand what it entails.
For years I feel like I’ve pushed this behind me. Perhaps part of it
was just feeling disappointed with myself; feeling like I wasn’t all that intelligent
after all. But having my daughter and watching her blossom has really set me in
motion. I see all the possibilities in her and I feel like I have to be in
touch with myself to be the best mother that I can be. All the thoughts in my
head are a jumbled mess (as they often are these days) but I wanted to get them
out. Even if it is just a piece at a time.
No comments:
Post a Comment